Friday, December 01, 2006

News of the day

I can't find the article on the internet, but today I heard some depressing news. As an introduction, let me say that Liza and I have a rule. If Liza beats me at a game, then we no longer play that sport. I don't think I need to give any further explanation. For that reason, I can no longer bowl, play putt-putt, croquet, or connect 4. Of course I still do play the sports/games occasionally, but it's a good rule to make for all you married guys.

I don't know whether to be ashamed or just amazed at the story I heard today. My best bowling night ever resulted in a 196 (thank you very much). However, apparently yesterday, an 84 year old woman bowled a 248! Oh, and one small detail about her....she is BLIND. A blind, 84 year old woman destroyed my best bowling score. I think I'll chalk this one up to simply an amazing feat. I will say bowling is one of the most unmanly sports. Absolutely no contact, shiny shoes involved, and your finishing form involves you crossing your legs behind you with your arm extended. Well, I call the sport unmanly to at least make myself feel better about this story. Other unmanly sports: putt putt, croquet, and connect 4.

Also:
A man yesterday was rescued from the grips of a 12 foot alligator. We won't even discuss why the man was lying naked in a lake at noon when the alligator attacked. I'm no policeman, but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that he was "high on crack."

The 911 call is unbelievable. A man calls 911 because he hears a guy screaming at the lake.
The 911 call taker tells the guy to ask the man what's wrong. The naked man's response "A gator's got me." You then hear the 911 call taker say "oh crap." And then she proceeds to give perhaps some of the manliest advice ever. "Tell him to punch it in the nose." The 911 caller proceeds to yell to the victim "try punching it in the nose." The response.."it's too big."

Again, I wasn't in the situation, but I would think the 911 caller might go try to offer some assistance himself instead of just screaming "hey buddy, help is on the way." Anyway, glad he is ok, but the 911 call is worth listening to....hard to believe.

5 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

there is nothing unmanly about the sport of croquet, at least in the traditional use of the word. first, it actually requires much more skill than you might think. however, my argument for it being manly does not lie there. croquet has traditionally been played at all male country clubs, no girls allowed. think Augusta National without the golf tournament. there are still clubs in england like this, and any sport that rules out women just because it can and not because women are too athletically inferior is manly in my book.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Brian said...

fair enough...I'll accept that beautiful argument. Croquet is a manly sport

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You listen to Mike and Mike, don't you?

-Charles

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to survive in the wild.

1. Get high on crack...
2. Get naked
3. If something attacks you, punch it in the nose.
4. if whatever has you won't let go after you give it a few good licks, scream really loud. Someone will call 911 and that person along with the 911 operator will talk you through it.

(1 and 2 are interchangeable)

Kelly

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, USC lost today. Michigan already lost to Ohio State so they should not play them again for the NC. Florida is not looking like they are going to beat Arkansas. Let me be the first to predict an LSU-Ohio St. Championship Game.

Kelly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home