Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Who Dat!


I'm pretty sure this guy could run for mayor and win no problem.


Last night was memorable. Whenever the Atlanta Falcons and the New Orleans Saints butt heads it is a big event. However, last night was something special. With the Saints being 2-0 coming into their first game back in the dome, the crowd was electric. I was supposed to be at the game until my ticket fell through earlier in the week. And I must say, U2 in the pre-game and the roar of the crowd after a Steve Gleason blocked punt were enough to make me wish I was standing next to one of the many Saints fans dressed in their “nothing having to do with” football gear. Only at a Saints game will you find fans dressing as a black and gold Moses, black and gold Nuns, and black and gold Indians. I would have to say surprisingly, alcohol was involved. My uncle Steve who attended the game told me "I have been to a lot of games in the superdome, national championships, Sugar Bowls, Saints games, but I have never heard the place like that. It was wild."

Something is different about the Saints this year. Oh yea, no more Aaron Brooks. The usual late game collapses,125 yards in penalties, and phantom fumbles have been next to absent. Instead, the Saints are looking like an real life professional football team. By no means am I making any predictions, but last night made me smile. Even more so, it made me laugh. The post-game show was winding up well after the game, and even above Michael Irvin’s screaming voice you could hear a steady chant in the background “Who Dat, Who Dat, Who Dat say gonna beat them Saints.” The camera panned to the crowd only to center on and inebriated fully painted Saints fan, leaning over the railing, throwing out a “hook ‘em horns” and showing no signs of slowing down in his “Who Dat Chant.” Twas a beautiful night in New Orleans. I’m confident quite a few people are calling in “sick” today for work in the Big Easy.

On a final note, I am officially more excited about Saints football than the likes of Ole Miss football. Listening to Wake Forest line up and run it down our throats was the final straw. Actually, I take that back, the final straw was realizing that Brent Shaeffer was simply Aaron Brooks II. Onward Saints.

4 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The black guy dressed as Moses nearly made me shoot coke out of my nose. He reminded me of the guy dressed like a nun that I sat by one time.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awsome was that fumble (and we all know it was) by Michael Vick, and then the blocked punt returned for a touchdown. I can't remember seeing two better plays in a row in football!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Sean Payton is a play-calling stud...I loved him w/Dallas and hated to see him go. He put on a clinic and just worked the Falcons.
Bush and McAlister is a nasty combo...they have some talent on offense but their defense is going to fade.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

atlanta never had a chance in this game. the saints are playing in what basically turned into the super bowl for them, while the falcons were just trying to win another early season game. i'll gladly take a rematch in week 12. on the other hand, i think the city of new orleans enjoyed the win much more than the loss hurt me, and i am more than happy to sacrifice a few hours of frustration for the city and their fans. who would have thought the saints and falcons would be ruling NFC South?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home