Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Nintendo Games Part 2

4) Super Mario Bros. (NES) Coming in at number 4 is the game that started all the craze. Pitfall for Atari was the landmark game, until Mr. Miyamoto created the Mario brothers. The original Super Mario Brothers is an all-time classic. I think I could still play the first 2 boards with my eyes closed, and the music as you head down under on board two is awesome. The only flaw in Super Mario Brothers was how if you played two player, the second player could not begin until the first player died. And for me, that meant waiting the whole game. My brother could beat the game without losing a single man. I always respected him for that achievement.

3) Goldeneye – Let’s just be honest, Halo would not exist without Goldeneye. Goldeneye began the multi-player shooting craze. We would play 2-2 in the facility for hours, and then when we discovered how to detonate remote mines with that AB press….it was all over. Who didn’t enjoy seeing “most deadly” beside their name after a well-played game. I was good, but soon was no match for Belly of the Beast author Gray Hardison. He is the greatest Goldeneye player I’ve ever seen. I wonder how many hours were put into that game. Nothing was more frustrating then people who thought it cool to be odd job, or people who just hung around the body armour.

2) Original Zelda/Ocarina of Time (NES/N64) – It’s a tie. Zelda was an amazing game. Perhaps the first game where one could save his progress. Legendary music and a great combination of action and puzzles. I can still remember having to use the candle to find level 8??? One great memory in childhood of the original Zelda occurred when my next door neighbor called us over. We walked into his room, he had his hands behind his back….he paused and then slowly revealed the GOLDEN CARTRIDGE. We went ballistic.
I put the Ocarina of Time in a tie for second. It was an amazing one player game. I have never been more frustrated with a game than in the water temple. I might have finally cheated (a big no-no in my book) and looked at a players guide. The only thing more frustrating might have been the Goldeneye control room board.

1) Drumroll please…Mario 64 (N64) – It might come as a surprise, but I consider Mario 64 to be one of the most revolutionary games of all-time. With 360 degree gameplay, Miyamoto’s genius, and unprecedented graphics, it was amazing. It’s the only game I know of where people came over and were utterly content to just “watch.” Not only was the game challenging to beat, but even after beating the game, one could go back and try to gather all the stars.

Honorable Mentions – Mike Tyson’s punch-out – some of the most memorable characters *** Glass Joe, Sandman, etc. Super Smash Brothers – a great multi-player game which always seemed to surface during exam time in college.

Thanks again for walking down memory lane. May your Christmas enjoy a Nintendo WII this year.

7 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't feel like typing it again, but my NES rant is in the previous post's comments. Thank You.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Brian said...

well stated drew...well stated

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going kind of off-topic: a PS2 game that I've been playing lately. It's one of the most unique games I've played in a long time: Shadow of the Collossus. You're basically this little Link-type guy, whose girl is dead. The game starts with you carrying her dead body miles and miles, to this temple. In the temple, the gods or whatever tell you that they will resurrect your girl if you defeat the 16 collossi that roam the world. Then, you get on your horse and you wander around looking for these monsters, and you kill them. That's it. There are no "little" enemies; the only enemies in the game are "boss" enemies. But you have to find them, and then you have to figure out how to kill them. The deal is that they actually are huge collossi. You're this little man, and you have to figure out how to kill a huge stone and earth statute monster, which usually involves climbing on top of it while it's trying to throw you off. It's a lot of fun, and very different.

-Charles

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Although my degree says Business Admin, it ought to say Mario Kart b/c I spent way more hours studying the block fort and frappe snow land than I did thinking about microeconomics. We played a lot more battle than racing, which is a little odd. But the thing I loved about Mario Kart battle was that it was like bond except you could not stay in one place (i think they call it camping). Plus, how cool was it that you could still take someone's last balloon as the bomb? I can't tell you how many times I've been in traffic and had someone riding my bumper and thought, "If i had a string of bananas, that jerk would be driving a lot differently."

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the battle part of Mario Kart. The anger that game caused really came out in the battle mode.

Speaking of the bombs, how about those times two people were bombs and ended up running into each other, thus negating any chance to hurt your opponent. Idiots.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger kurt said...

The absolute worst insult you could give someone in Mario Kart is to catch them falling off a level and hit them with all three of your shells (we called this (insert character's name here) volleyball) and then quickly activating your star and "eating their bomb"...i've heard multiple new curse words after one of these events...

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that used to drive me crazy. Another one of my favorite moments would be when a bomb would be chasing someone, only to have that person get a star and turn the tables on them. The bomb running for its life always made for excellent times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home