Friday, July 21, 2006

The Dontae Jones Degree

Dontae now has a successful career with the Nashville Rhythm, but that is not even close to his most impressive achievment

If you are outside the state of Mississippi you surprisingly probably don't know about the latest Ole Miss football situation. The Ole Miss football season hinges on quarterback Brent Shaeffer being eligible for next season. His arrival date at Ole Miss keeps getting pushed back until he graduates from the College of the Sequoias in California. This story along with Auburn's latest academic fiasco jogged my memory of an incident back in 1996. Who can forget when Miss. State's star basketball player, Dontae' Jones, managed to squeak by in his eligibility requirements by passing 36 hours of summer school at Northeast Miss. Community College. Let me say that again, 36 hours of summer school.

I remember hearing that number and it sounding big back in high school. Then I arrived at Ole Miss in 1999 and took 16 hours of class my first semester. It dawned on me, he took over 1 years worth of school in a summer. My question is, What's the problem? Let's get Brent Shaeffer on the Dontae' Jones degree program and be done with it. Heck, we get him on that program and he'll graduate in May and play his senior year while only enrolling in 1 class a semester. What the heck, I might check into this program and see if I can get my Masters of Business or maybe even a doctorate by Christmas.

Oh well, it's all just a part of the being on the rollercoaster known as Ole Miss sports. Hopefully, by Christmas you will be referring to me as Dr. Sorgenfrei.

P.S. While looking for a picture of Dontae', I came across this quote about his name. "An apostrophe was intentionally placed on the end of his first name by his mother, for no apparent reason, according to him."

1 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

Call me--have an interesting update from official source on Brett Schaeffer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home