Monday, January 22, 2007

...aaaaaaaaaat laaaaaaaaaast......



I just can’t put into words the excitement and relief I experienced as a Colts fan last night. I’ve only been a fan for 9 years (…when they drafted Peyton), but the pain and misery of watching the Colts beat the Patriots was like a 1,000 llbs. Of sports emotions lifted off my back and thrown in the Boston Bay. My brother and I shared a special moment after the game both elated with simultaneous joy that the Colts were going to the super bowl and that the Patriots were not. The Patriots really have become the ‘evil empire’ of the NFL. I know there is disdain out there for Peyton Manning (the “Manning face” or the “Holy Family of Football” or all the commercials), but have you ever seen such a sharp clash of the classy vs. the classless?? I know Tom Brady has accomplished a lot, but what a pathetic attitude he had after the game. He didn’t shake anyone’s hand or acknowledge anyone, no sportsmanship at all. And Belichick is the model example for classlessness, how bout the insulting acknowledgement to both Manning and Dungy. This is what makes people like Bill Simmons and the company of Patriots followers so despicable (not denying the fact he’s hilarious), all dignity is flushed down the toilet when they lose. Does anyone else agree with Ladanian Tomlison’s comments last week?? There is no better justice though than seeing Brady run off the field like a crying little girl and see a beyond bitter Belichick mumble through an interview.
Aside from the sure joy of seeing the Patriots lose, I did have some thoughts throughout the game. In the first half it really seemed like a nightmare all over again…
- I couldn’t believe Manning threw another interception against the Patriots, it’s almost as a moth to a flame
- It was very depressing to see how the Patriots were totally in the head of the Colts early in the game, like that manipulative girl who won’t stop calling even though you filed the restraining order 3 months ago (I know you all had one in college too..)
- I couldn’t believe the Patriots went away from running the football with Corey Dillon…why?? (like why did even let ball inbounded to Jimmy Chitwood ??)
- What was Dungy thinking trying to Challenge the Gaffney touchdown, was anyone in the booth watchin?? (….like Demi Moore’s “No, No I strenuously object!!)
- I couldn’t believe the Colts didn’t fold after all the special teams mishaps late in the game
- I wanted to know what Brady and Belichick were thinking when Adam Vinateri came up clutch in the 4th quarter….again (“Freudo…you broke my heart !!”)
- I also wanted to ask Tony Dungy how the Lord was on his side, but then I watched Belichick’s interview after the game and everything made sense. (I’m sure there is some relevant Star Wars quote here, nothing is coming to mind)

I do want to extend my public sorrow for Brian and all the Saints fans, we were all cheering for you. The cards just were not stacked in your favor. Cold weather, outside, rain/snow/sleet….that’s Bears weather, that’s Bears football. It is a good day to be football fan though, a Super Bowl I’m pumped about watching. Does anyone think the Colts will lose that game??


…At last Peyton Manning was not a choker
…At last Tom Brady didn’t come through in the clutch
…At last we don’t have to watch a coach in the Super Bowl who looks like he stopped off at the nearest garage sale on the way to the stadium
…At last Bill Simmons must eat his ‘crow’ and face the music of all his vindictive writing
…At last the haters and doubters must repent
…At last Boomer Esiason can take his nose out of New England’s butt
…At last the city of Boston can start pouting again
…At last Grey Hardison may get one of his wishes for 2007
…At last Indianapolis won the AFC championship
…At last Peyton is going to the Super Bowl
AND
…At last the Colts beat the Patriots in the playoffs!!!!!!

6 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Brian said...

It was a gloomy morning here in Jackson for the Saints fans. If one had told me at the beginning of the season that the Saints would be playing in the NFC Championship, I would have sent you straight to the doctor. Its amazing how I still am unsatisfied after an NFC Championship appearance.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Brian said...

It was good to see Peyton finally get the weight off his back..... however, I do wish he would quit whining to the officials on so many plays. But congrats.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomlinson was complaining about the Patriots making fun of a dance that steroid-using San Diego Charger Shawn Merriman does. I can't find anything wrong with making fun of that.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Alex said...

good point grey...i can't stand shawn Merriman, and i hated his campaign to make himself defensive player of the year...still LT was still on about the patriots

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LT's complaining was whiny, sore-loserness at its worst. San Diego was the favorite; the Pats were a long shot. It's natural that the Pats would celebrate. As for the nature of their celebration, I agree with Gray: anything making fun of a cheater is disqualified from being the subject of righteous indignation.

I don't mind Brady; although, I thought it was strange that he just ran off after the game and left Manning wandering around looking for him. I hate Bill Belichick, though, and I hope any franchise he ever coaches crumbles into pieces. I hate him mostly because he looks like a hobo on the sidelines. I half expect to see him standing over a metal drum with a fire in it, passing around a bottle in a paper bag. The other reason I hate him is because of his response to Mangini taking the head coaching job at the Jets. Talk about Schadenfreude.

The terrible thing is that the day after the game, I heard Dan Patrick on the radio bad-mouthing Manning, saying how Manning had proven nothing about his ability to win the big game, that this Pats team was depleted and not the same as the old ones, that Brady was still the better QB.... yadda yadda yadda... "I have to find some reason to hate on the prototype white pocket-passer quarterback in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl involving two black head coaches, on the eve of Black History month."

-Charles

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Alex said...

yeah....those comments by Dan Patrick are what is wrong with the media. Some people will always find a way to always dog Manning, and find an excuse for Tom Brady. Let's be real, Brady is amazing. I was terrified when he had the ball with 1:00 remaining --- but the facts: he choked this time, his team lost...I'm sure Bill Simmons will find some similar excuses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home