Saturday, March 24, 2007

Why We watch...

it's hard to believe it's been 15 years since that Saturday night in 1992 when Christian Laettner sank the greatest shot in NCAA tournament history. I remember, my parents had gone out to eat and my friend Kyle and I were watching the game while playing a bit of an indoor game of our own. We loved Duke (though happily repented of that in the late 90's) b/c of there dream-like upset of UNLV the year before but also namely b/c they played white guys that made us believe we had our own chance to make it. After Laettner hit the shot, we screamed and ran around the house for a good 15 minutes in frantic elation. A realistic picture of Jimmy Chitwood had been displayed before us. A destiny had been cast for us. We were going to spend the next several years attempting to create a perfect re-enactment of the shot. Hours were spent re-watching the clip, mastering the catch and the one dribble, then carefully learning to turn to your left - not the right. Then the magical fade away with someone in your face.

I have to still believe that during that timeout coach K came up with some crazy plan that left everyone a bit unsure, then Laettner interupted "I'll make it".

The Duke/Kentucky game was my real "hoosiers moment" as a fan, a real love for the tournament took on a new meaning. All these moments came with it later -- I love some march Madness.

4 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate Duke, and that was the first college game I ever watched in earnest.

My father did not have cable or satelite back then, so he taped the games and would get them after each set ended (we taped at my aunt's who had cable), followed by watching them on a slight delay. Before you ask, I live in Canada so we do not get CBS on the antennae.

Needless to say, this was the game that hooked me on college hoops for eternity, making each March a wonderful time of year for that very reason.

As for the ultimate moment for me, I would have to go with a game that was not a buzzer beater. No, it was a triple overtime game with Old Dominion beating another team (I think it may have been Villanova). That game was incredible, and I got to see that one live thankfully.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger kurt said...

I've never repented of my Duke fanship. One of the most lasting memories of my life is watching that game with my dad and him saying at the end (as I was jumping around like a lunatic), "After a game like that I need a beer."

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

the post below is why youtube is the greatest thing to happen to us in a long long time. and everything in that clip completely exemplifies sweet emotion.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is the greatest Youtube video post yet, gave me chills everywhere!

- Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home