Friday, July 20, 2007

Did I just throw up in my mouth

It's unpatriotic to call this food a "candy"

For some reason the thought of a circus peanut crossed my mind today. Has there ever been a more disgusting candy invented? It's almost heretical to call a circus peanut a piece of candy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought candy usually implied that as you chew it a deightful smile emerges on your face. Instead, when i put a circus peanut in my mouth, the look on my face can be likened to what would happen if I saw the end of a Michael Vick dog fight. Not only does it taste like a piece of styrofoam dipped in sweet'N'low and then covered in a light coat of plastic, but it is also outwardly unappealing. Nothing like the sight on an orange peanut to get me excited. Who doesn't love to eat orange plastic?

It baffles me that the circus peanut can still be found in stores. Or maybe no one has actually bought a circus peanut in so long that they have sat on the shelves for 30 years....thus explaining their revolting taste.

Anyway, just wanted to give my salute to the unloveable circus peanut. Here are the ingredients:
sugar, corn syrup, gelatin, soy protein, food coloring and artificial flavor. I guess the artificial flavoring is the kicker. The maker of this "candy" must have said, "let's see if I can create an artifical flavoring that will mimic the taste of vomit."

Anybody with any good circus peanut stories out there?

p.s. I found a positive, the shavings of circus peanuts in a cereal actually inspired Lucky Charms.

5 Comments:

At 10:52 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

excellent post. truly "sweet" emotion being poured out there. i don't have any good circus peanut stories because i, like all of america, have never bought them. although i tasted one once

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew Carey gets the Price is Right job.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger kurt said...

More disappointing at Halloween:

Circus Peanut, Fruit, or Toothbrush?

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Alex said...

i use them for door-stoppers

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Kel said...

funny thing is i use the door-stoppers for circus peanuts at halloween time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home