Monday, March 24, 2008

Why We Love Davidson


The first weekend of the Big Dance is over and one could discuss hundreds of highlights and subjects. However, I would like to focus on the most fun story of the tournament so far....Davidson College. Here are a few of my observations and why I am pulling for Davidson (and Tennessee for my bracket's sake)

1) We love Davidson because the fantasy principle. You look at Davidson and think, "Those guys are just like me." Therefore, as you watch them play, you start entertaining false notions about what you and your buddies back home could do. You think....just maybe we could have done something like this. (Note that I said false notions please). I'm not that silly...I'm aware of my 22 inch vertical and 5.6 40 speed.

2) It affirms the accuracy of Nintendo. One of the greatest basketball players in Nintendo sports was Dell Curry. Countless times, I would battle my brother in Super Nintendo's NBA Live '95. And countless times I would watch Dell Curry of the Charlotte Hornets light me up from beyond the arc. He was an amazing (Christian Okoye -esque...tecmo bowl) player. All that to say, anyone who played NBA Live '95 should have jumped at the idea of recruiting his son Stephen Curry. Alas, many coaches passed on the diminutive shooter, and now he is making them look silly. Curry has been the most enjoyable player to watch in the tournament....that reminds me...I wonder if Christian Okoye has a son....some football coach better be recruiting him.

3) Can I go on about Stephen Curry. When asked about his second half performance after a shooting slump in the first half against Georgetown, Curry responded with a quote that makes sweet emotion smile. "I guess I have Shooter's Amnesia." YES and Yes again. You can't score if you don't shoot...this is why we love A.I. and now Stephen Curry.

Thank you Davidson and go wildcats. Keep on shooting.

4 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Speaking of NBA Live '95 progeny, does Detlef Schremph have a son? That guy was like a free cheat code!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Alex said...

"I guess I have Shooter's Amnesia."

It's quotes like this that make me feel as though we are making a difference out there. The SE philosophy is awalys 'to get more shots'

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

god-bless Stephen Curry and god-bless Allen Iverson!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Kel said...

Sweet Emotion is going to get "the belly of the beast award for not posting in a while".

Congrats Sweetemotion...you're more like the beast than the beast is.

At least there we got a kickin pre-
MTV vid of Hall and Oats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home