Monday, February 18, 2008

Writer's Strike


The writer’s strike is over. The good probably outweighs the bad, although it could be debatable considering the shows that will resume. Let’s weigh out the pros and cons.

Con
-The Academy Awards will now go on. Which means we get the privilege of hearing Celebrities espouse their political views. And that makes a lot of sense on two levels. First of all, they are actors, which immediately legitimizes their political knowledge. Secondly, it’s a Movie awards ceremony, which again is a perfectly logical platform for political speeches. I can only hope they brag about going completely green again.
- Grey’s Anatomy – no explanation needed here. The longer this show stays off air, the better for everyone
- Desperate Housewives (See above)
- Law and Order, Law and Order SVU, CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York, CSI Everything Else, Cold Case, Without a Trace, NCIS – All these shows are the same…how many different spin-offs can you have? Every episode seems to have the exact same plotline followed by a shocking conclusion that reveals the criminal wasn’t who you first thought. Could have fooled me that the writer’s strike affected these shows. Seemed to me it was still on ever hour of the day. Then again, every episode is the same so re-runs look the same as the new shows.
- The Tonight Show and the Late Show – With or without writers, Letterman and Leno are about the same in the humor department. In my opinion, Conan O’Brien far exceeds both of these men.


Pro
-The Office – best show on tv. Thursday nights at the Sorgenfrei house have been a little slower without Dwight Shrute and his antics. Rumor has it that 3-4 episodes were already 90% done so it will be returning quickly.
-House – I think it is one of the best shows on TV. The acting by Hugh Laurie, (Dr. Gregory House) is top notch. You would never know he was British, the first time I heard his real accent, my jaw dropped. Gregory House is one of the premier special cases doctors in the country. All cases that no one else can figure out come to him and his team.
What makes House work is the characters. Dr. House though a genius, is a miserable, lonely, atheist and for lack of a better term an all-around jerk House’s quirks combined with the hospital setting provide humorous dialogue and pressing ethic and religious issues. I highly recommend the show and am glad it will be returning.
-Less Reality TV – hopefully more written shows will necessarily subtract the number of reality shows.
-Cavemen might be dead – what a horrible idea for a show…did it ever have its premier?
-Lost – Can’t say I’ve ever watched it, but from people’s reaction…it’s gotta be a good thing.
-Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles – might have salvaged it. My love of Terminator II spilled over into the new show. Not the greatest show on earth by any means, but watching robots throw each other through walls never seems to get old.
-24 – The writer’s strike forced it into next season, hopefully that will end up being a very good thing. It will give them more time to make up for the past two seasons and write a quality script.

Well after a short analysis, I’m thinking the writer’s strike should have lasted a few more months….at least until after the Oscars. Here’s to another Oscar awards show that will be completely Green.
The Wall Street Journal last week reported “to wit, trendy climate-change policies like ethanol and other bio-fuels are actually worse for the environment than fossil fuels.” How about that…nice work guys.

8 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Alex said...

The Con's of the strike were definitely that good-seasons of TV were cut short, Thursday nights now became boring, More pathetically awful game shows that look so promising on the advertisement were shown, good shows in their first years got axed.

The Pro's of the strike were that I began to pick up shows on DVD that I've never seen. I just started to watch the first season of "24", it's interesting, certainly not boring - but I don't see what all the hype is about....at least not yet.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Kel said...

I watch TV, but i hate it too. I am sad that the strike is over. My wife and I have had more conversations since the strike and we have played hours of games together. There were also a few nights when we just got up and went a visited people. We don't do that if the tv is on.

...I did miss "The Office".

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the "The Office" website, there will be no new episodes until April 10. That's a little later than I had anticipated.

I've just started watching "House" in the last few months and I love it. I'm glad you watch it Brian.

Brian, because I know that we usually like the same stuff, you need to start watching "30 Rock." It might be my favorite show on tv right now. Yes, Alec Baldwin is in it, but he is actually pretty good and Tracy Morgan is hilarious.

Lastly, I've heard rumors of an "Arrested Development" movie...anyone know anything about this?

- Daniel L.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Ethanol relies only on government subsidies to keep production up. The energy cost going in to growing, harvesting, and refining ethanol result in some serious negative energy when compared with the energy yield of ethanol.

One Green fellow in London argued that driving your car 2 miles, with all of the costs to the environment that car production, shipment, oil refining and gas pumping, all result in less environmental pollution than walking those same 2 miles and eating 100g (English fellow, remember?) of ground beef. It's probably even worse for vegetarians.

I'm sad the writers' strike is over ultimately. I don't have a TV, and all my friends might have well not had them. As a result, people opened up books and became a lot more intelligent. I've had some great conversations in that time.

I'm sure some writer went on strike, even though he was working on a documentary about Darfur. You KNOW that stuff has to have gone down. I love the irony of that Hollywood crowd.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger kurt said...

Marty and I took the time away from the Office to watch LOST. I didn't think she'd like it and I was skeptical, but it's actually pretty good and we're totally hooked (especially on DVD's with no commercials). By the way, pitchers and catchers have reported...thank goodness the NBA is getting moved to the back burner soon.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Alex said...

oh crap, I just realized that the NBA season has started, thought I might sleep through that one...Brian, we should probably get a post on that sometime soon.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

timeout. Hellga is attractive??

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Joel..your not into chicks whose arms are bigger than your thighs???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home