Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I wish I had a muni....


I must say i read Brian's post on "the muni" with great enthusiasm and envy. And since we are still in the golf season (it officially takes a back seat to college football on labor day weekend, but will get some props for the Ryder Cup) I thought i would share my one of my own stories to pay homage to "the muni". The day before my wedding was one of the craziest days of my life, or of anyone's life. But for this post I'll share our experience on the golf course. We were searching for a cheap place to play through the yellow pages when my brother-in-law mentioned this place that he and I had driven by one time that was 30 miles outside of Macon, GA in a little town called Haddock. Haddock has one intersection, a stop sign, gas station which also serves as a grocery store, and a baptist church. We drive up to this place and first of all can't tell where the supposed driveway ends and the golf course begins. We walked up to this little red shack where two men, both obviously living off of social security and weighing a good 295, were sitting on this porch swing widdiling wood. As we approached them they didn't get up or move, just asked how they could help us (one of my friends thought that we needed directions somewhere), we said "yeah, we wanna play golf". In absolute shock, the larger guy who was wearing a budweiser trucker hat responded "are you serious?" He said great and then took us in what was apparently the 'club house'. I said we have 15 guys and we want all of your carts, he said "great, I think about 60$ will cover it." Also you should know that out of the 15 of us, i think we only had about 6 sets of clubs...that didn't bother this guy at all. We started to tee off and soon everyone's shirt came off, then the shorts came off. Once we realized that we were about the only ones who'd been out there in a long time, several of my friends played the round in just golf cleates. The golf was fun till we got to the 4th hole and there was no 'hole' on the green, apparently the greens keeper blew it. So we just decided for that hole if you got it on the green, it was good. The rest of the day consisted of a lot of Indiana Jones stunts with the golf carts and a lethal game of cart polo on the driving range. My friend Jackson (who was buck) started it by driving straight onto the range and wacking balls at the rest of us. The funny part about that was it was right in front of the "clubhouse" and those guys just kept on widdiling wood, never said a thing. Imagine seeing 10 of your golf carts driving around in a dog fight wacking dangerous balls aimlessly. Most people would stop you for a law suit, i don't think they knew what one was? So after a long morning of this, we came back and turned the carts in and thanked what was aparently the club pro and his first mate 'the greens keeper'. We were hellians that day, a nightmare to any lover of golf, disdained by all country-club men everywhere---yet as we were walking out the door the guy said "Thanks for coming!...tell your friends about us." Oh, and we did.


That was definitely a memorable golf experience, but nothing like "the muni". If i ever make it down there to Jackson, right up on my priority list will be to bring $6 and go add "the muni" to my golf resume. But until then, i'll work on my tan so i can play shirtless!

2 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Alex, That story is priceless. I was uncontrollably laughing as the mental pictures formed in my head of the chaos on #4. I can't believe I've never heard that story before. Classic.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Alex said...

The stories of my life can be summed up In the words of the great Robert Earl Keen "the road goes on forever and the party never ends."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home