Friday, January 26, 2007

Over The Top!





No, this post is not about Sylvestor Stallone's attempt to relive his 'Rocky' glory in the form of arm-wrestling (but it is a fun excuse to put this lame picture up). I just had to share this and make a few short comments. I was recently given one of our child-hood favorite games on my computer, Mike Tyson's Punchout. At this point, No explanation needs to be given about how life-changing this game was in grade school. It was our 'Rocky' experience. Anyhow, As I picked up the game I couldn't get passed the first Bald Bull (not very far) -- i've forgotten all the hints here and there. So I did what any 21st century knowledge seeker does, I googled "Mike Tyson's punchout secrets and hints". I was hoping to just get some small info about when to punch here or how to dodge this, any small info would have worked. Well, This is what I found (please excuse the length and do not read it, just recognize the absurd detail and knowledge, click here for his webpage):





What I was hoping to find was a simple clue or two, and actually stumbled upon Brian Sulpher's disertation on "the life and thought of Mike Tyson's punchout". This is rediculous, ponder for a moment the amount of time spent on this. Not just the thousands of hours of punchout played, but also thought put into for a consistent battle strategy, also the time spent ORGANIZING this into a coherent presentation. There is an INTRODUCTION, preceded by an outline. This layout was oddly familiar to many a college textbooks. It gets better...the document contains a dedication to his younger brother and girlfriend in which he uses the words 'inspiration' and promised love. Brian so valued this work and so thought it would be widely read that he wanted people to know how his girlfriend "endured" with him through this journey (gosh I hope there married now). He then valued what he had to say so highly, he concludes as somewhat of a mentor or coach giving his best 'Mic' impersanation: "practice, practice, practice". Please, take a deep breath and say it with me now.....WOW.

What are we to do with Brian Sulpher?? I don't have a clue who he is or where he lives?? Is this manly to produce documents like this or is this 'Over The Top'??? I lean towards the latter, but The comment link below is open for the discussion. Here is my suggestion though, I propose that we all BOMBARD Brian (as he has left us his email)with emails full of notes of encouragement and questions, asking for a follow up document. We should let him know how much this meant to us and he should 'keep up the good work'. Feel free to exagerate or even to maybe even write "Dear Brian, I'm praying for you". Brian can be reached at: briansulpher@hotmail.com, until then if anyone does have a valuable tip that might help, i'd appreciate it!!

12 Comments:

At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's posts like this why i read 'sweet emotion'. I'm emailing Brian immediately!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I think the post would be manly if he hadn't thanked his girlfriend and dropped the L-bomb on the document. Spending hours obsessing over a game like Punch Out! is manly, because you aren't giving a rip about what others think, which is manly.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Alex said...

well noted Daniel...i think this may call for immediate disqualification for associating video game boxing and your girlfriend..

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Brian said...

First of all, I will say I was disappointed this wasn't a blog on the movie "Over the Top." It was an instant classic in the Sorgenfrei house.

I did enjoy how Brian referred to himself as the "KO King."

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if he ever introduces himself or has his business card read:

Brian Sulpher, aka "KO King"




- Ben

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Good call Brian, maybe we could enter a regular tribute to "over the top", that could be our catch phrase and excuse to refer to that movie any time something absurd comes up...like this Barbaro thing!!!

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

dang it alex, i just got on here to post that the next "over the top" segment should be on barbaro, a freaking horse. Sportscenter just announced that Barbaro's mother is pregnant with a brother. i wish i were making this up.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Alex said...

Barbaro frenzy is "blogger gold"

it was the LEAD story on all 3 Philadelphia networks at the 11pm news....I want some steak!!

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The prices for General Tso's Chicken at every Philadelphia area Chinese buffet just went up: thoroughbred rates.

As for Brian Sulpher, every once in a while I reference documents such as that one to get tips for video games (Unmanly? Perhaps. I simply don't have or want to spend the time to become good at them legitimately.) If you really want your mind blown, check out one for some role-playing game like Final Fantasy or something like that. We're talking over a hundred pages, easy. Insane.

-Charles

 
At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed my work fellas!

Brian Sulpher

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Alex said...

does anyone know who posted that??

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I will sign it this way. Thank you for your interest in my work. If you would like I will answer some of the questions raised here.

1) My girlfriend and I actually broke it off in early 2006, but don't worry I got a new lady now.

2) I am working on an update for that file, so stay tuned for even better strategies.

3) This was actually one of my easier to write files as many of the strategies were the work of the really experienced players at the game, where as the majority of my time went into the Mr. Sandman and Mike Tyson end of things.

If you have any other questions, please do e-mail me at the listed e-mail.

Have a good day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home