Thursday, December 20, 2007

Genealogy Thoughts

The celebration of Christmas is almost here. And with the holiday necessarily comes a flood of thoughts, activities and traditions. Various circumstances has brought my attention back to the beginning of the New Testament. Matthew opens his Christmas story and the whole of the New Testament with the genealogy of Jesus. Let's be honest, those 17 verses filled with name after name can get repetitive. However, what a grand reminder it is of the glorious Savior we have in Jesus.

Is it not shocking that the one man who could choose His family tree, chose to put such names as Tamar, Jacob, the wife of Uriah (Bathsheeba), and Rahab in it? Tamar bore a son through a deceptive, incestuous relationship. Jacob was a deceiver. Bathsheeba was the product of King David's lust and murder. And Rahab was a prostitute in the pagan city of Jericho. Yet, Jesus proudly says, "I want them in my family tree." What a Savior we have that is not ashamed to call helpless, filthy sinners to be in his family. Matthew 9:13 "...For I cam not to call the righteous, but sinners." Christmas is a glorious reminder of the God who saves undeserving sinners as myself by sending His Son to die in their place. If you have received Jesus by faith, He is not ashamed to have you in His family.


I hope its not inappropriate to switch from the Christmas message to an upcoming movie. But we cover all of life here at sweet emotion so I must share my excitement. Christian Baele helped save the Batman sinking series a few years ago with "Batman Begins." And the second installment comes out "summer 2008." I'll admit, when I heard Heath Ledger was going to play "the Joker", I thought it was some kind of joke. But I dare say, he looks pretty cool. There is no way he will have as many memorable lines as Jack Nicholson (Where does he get those wonderful toys, It's as though we were made for each other. Beauty and the Beast. Of course, if anyone else calls you 'beast' I'll rip their lungs out)...but I am pretty excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home