Sunday, December 09, 2007

those dadgum Patriots


My feelings towards the Patriots are very much rooted in David's words from the Psalms, I hate them with a "perfect hatred". These feelings are obedient as I am only "hating what is evil". As much as I do despise this team (more than any other assembled team in sports history), I do recognize them as a very talented and well put together team. They do everything right. Nothing more needs to be added to Boomer Esiason's or Chris Collinsworth's love-affair with the Patriots, but there are some things that have not been mentioned about this season they're having. I keep asking myself why........


1) Have the Patriots been able to avoid injuries, they have not lost a single significant player to injury. Every good team has had to overcome some injury problems (Dallas, Green Bay, Indianapolis,ect..), but the Patriots have not lost anybody. Surely someone has got to get hurt.


2) Have the Patriots been able to avoid turning the ball over in the NFL? I've seen several dropped Int's and fumbles that went out of bounds for the Pats - they almost never turn the ball over. I mean in the NFL if a ball is tipped or a poor pass, it's almost always Intercepted - how have the patriots avoided that?


3) Have the Patriots not had a letdown? This is probably due to incredible coaching and personal motivation, but in their 13 games they have not played an "off" game. Surely once they will just not have their magic....surely.



When I see Billichick on the sidelines I'm reminded of evil sinister British Colonel Tavington from the movie The Patriot. I imagine Billichick thriving in the humiliation of each coach he embarrases, "You know, it's ugly business doing one's duty... but just occasionally it's a real pleasure." I watch him reactionless on the sidelines, mumbling into the headset, yet giving viewers at home the faintfull feeling that he knows more than you and your coach. If I was an NFL headcoach and lost to him, after the game was over when I had to shake his hand I would grab his 'dead-fish' hand shake as tightly as possible, yank him towards me and whisper in his ear..."Before this war is over, I'm going to kill you."



Surely before this season is over, someone will get hurt. Brady, Moss, somebody....something has to go wrong. I can't take anymore Chris Collinsworth or Boomer Esiason. I honestly think they will either lose one of the last three games of the regular season or will lose in the playoffs. I'm considering fasting in hopes that this perfect season ends soon.

10 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Not to add to your misery but you are wrong on point one. The Pats have played more than half the season without Richard Seymour. I think the Indy game was his first game back. He's probably their best defensive player. I can understand hating Belichick but if you read about Tom Brady's time at Michigan, you can't help but like him (see: the Drew Henson experiment).

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Luke said...

They lost Seymour half the season and Roosevelt Colvin is out for the season I think now.

They remind me a lot of the 2005 Colts...13-0 start, but can't run the ball and can't really stop people on defense. I think they are going to lose in the playoffs...Colts will beat them in Foxboro.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Kel said...

Man. I love the fact that I was called out on this very blog for my comments about the Pats and no one really caring very much about them cheating and nothing ever coming of it. Boy, was I wrong. I had no idea that the Pats would dominate the way that they have. I also can't believe that the best preparation that a team can make for the Patriots is to guarantee a victory in the hopes that it might actually come true. No one can deny that this is a really good football team. And its not just the evil that makes them good. They are actually a good team.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Alex said...

thanks Kurt, it did escape my mind that Seymour was out for most of the season. And also losing Colvin is big. However, i think we can agree that it is their offense that makes them who they are and they have stayed injury free there. There is no doubt about how good they are.

...also, I don't hate Tom Brady, see future post of my "All-'cant stand you' team", coming soon. Brady will not be the 1st team QB.

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

still, i love that picture of Brady. beautiful.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Kel said...

I agree with Chris. Regardless of anything, that is one of the best pictures i have ever seen. Ever.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe the most impressive thing about Tom Brady, is how unimpressive his body is. I bet he can't bench 250llbs.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Brian said...

well said...I am actually hoping they somehow lose to the Giants in the last game of the regular season and then again in the their first playoff game. I would love it.

I am so sick of the Patriots. I know Tom Brady is putting up huge numbers....but some credit has to go to his offensive line. That guy has all day and never gets touched. The one game he somewhat struggled (use that term liberally) was the Ravens game where they finally put a shoulder pad into him

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Brian said...

well said...I am actually hoping they somehow lose to the Giants in the last game of the regular season and then again in the their first playoff game. I would love it.

I am so sick of the Patriots. I know Tom Brady is putting up huge numbers....but some credit has to go to his offensive line. That guy has all day and never gets touched. The one game he somewhat struggled (use that term liberally) was the Ravens game where they finally put a shoulder pad into him

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Alex said...

The Patriots have officially replaced the Dallas Cowboys as the "New York Yankees" of the NFL. ie, Unless your from there, you can't stand them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home