Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Clutch City

I'm Giving the Ball to That Man.


I hate to post so quickly after Alex's incredible post (its worth clicking down to read), but I'm going out of town and had to tell our 5 readers about an article. Since Alex has been talking about clutch performances with Tiger Woods, this article fits right in. Its a terrific article comparing the clutch performances of Larry Bird and David Ortiz. First of all, Bill Simmons makes a reference to the NBA superstars video. I mean what Jr. High aspiring basketball player didn't watch that classic video on summer afternoons with nothing else to do. Second of all, Simmons makes a Jimmy Chitwood reference. Lastly, the paragraph about Bird being so good that he experimented in games is unbelievable. The guy decided that he was going to score only with his left hand in one quarter. That's the kind of thing your older brother does to you when he has hit puberty and you're still a little scrawny squirt just trying to score a bucket. Its a good read, check it out. I for one have to go with Larry Bird. Maybe if Ortiz keeps this up for awhile longer, we'll reconsider. But its hard to dethrone Larry when it comes to clutch performances. I will probably make some people angry, but I'll take Bird over Jordan in the clutch. Now if we want to compare Dominique (The Human Highlight Film) Wilkins and Larry Bird, we're talking a different story. Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

At 9:12 PM, Blogger Alex said...

To me...the real debate is Larry Bird or Jimmy Chitwood. Bill Simmons is genious.

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous Brian. I don't know why, but I still get really irritated with you when you, in one breath, dethrone His Airness and with the next, elevate Dominique. You would think that by now it wouldn't bother me. You would think.
Ryan and Nate where up here this past weekend, and we watched a scene from Hoosiers. "Leave the ball will you George." Mannn, that's great!

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mookie blaylock to dominique... i rest my case. there's nothing sweeter!! when i hear cougar singing "small town" it still sends chills down my spine. "shoot the ball rade!!!" my best basketball memories of recent years...hickory in hoop it up memphis tennessee. the best defeated team to step on the court...rather, let's make that asphalt or cobblestone!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home