Monday, August 21, 2006

Gimmick Watch

Webster's dictionary defines "gimmick" as an attention-getting strategem or inducement. My friends and roomates through the years have noticed my love for gimmicks, and many have come aboard the gimmick train. The love for gimmicks might be a hereditary trait. My grandmother, Charlotte Peets, has been putting gimmicks in our stockings for years. However, she was to be topped only by my mother, affectionately known as the gimmick queen. When stores see my mom coming, they begin putting all their new products in the aisle. If it says "new" or "new look" on the box, my mom is going to scoop it up. Therefore, I've been raised on gimmicks, and what a joy they bring!

With that being said, I will use this blog every once in a while to alert our readers to new gimmicks on the market. I picked up one yesterday....Fruity Cheerios.

Gimmick Review: B -
Creative idea, great looking box, great namebrand, but the taste isn't that great. You would expect a fruit loops flavor, but instead it tastes a lot like Trix, but not as quality. Also, it doesn't even really change the color of the milk, which is always a plus in my book. It simply means you can drink the milk at the end and get the fine sugary taste.

Great Gimmick of the past:
Crystal Pepsi - I will never forget the day that Mom Sorgenfrei brought home the clear Pepsi. Mom calls everyone into the kitchen, "Gather around kids, your in for a real treat." Then she proceeds to unveil the crystal pepsi. It was a second Christmas for Mark and I. There we stood just staring at the fascinating new gimmick. It Looks like Sprite, everything in you tells you its going to be Sprite, that is until it hits those taste buds. I'm disappointed Clear Pepsi went off the shelves so quickly and so was Van Halen for that matter. He had a great rendition of "right now" to promote the product. The Sorgenfrei's were one family that gave Clear Pepsi a big thumbs up.

Future gimmicks to be covered: Nerd Ropes, the Pizzaz, and so much more. One of the many things that makes a Free Enterprise economy great - the proliferation of gimmicks.

P.S. Ole Miss received a #75 ranking from SI. Ouch!

10 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Marianne said...

Brian, If you like gimmicks you'll love this: you can now personalize your own ketchup bottle (http://www.myheinz.com/). Nothing says "I love you" or "I care" like ketchup.

You can also personalize a wheaties box too for the low low price of $34.95. (http://www.kidmusic.com/cgi-bin/item/WB/PWP/Personalized%2DWheaties%2DProducts%2DWheaties%2DTrophy%2DBox) I guess I know what I'm getting little Whit Watlington for his 1st birthday :)

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see an analysis of some failed gimmicks versus gimmicks that achieve normality. For example, Crystal Pepsi v. Vanilla Coke. I thought for sure that Vanilla Coke thing would blow over in a month or two, because they taste terrible, but they're still around, and no longer a gimmick.

Or, how about the Dominoes pizza with two layers of crust and a layer of cheese and herbs beneath versus the Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust pizza? Stuffed Crust is still on the menu as a regular menu item, but the Dominoes Double Melt thing is gone.

McDonald's may have the right idea with their McRib strategy. Bring the gimmick out and publicize it to death. Then bring it out again a few years later and run it into the ground again. Repeat ad infinitum.

Charles Blanchard

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Dave Thomas was the master of gimmicks...

Wendy's has like 10 sandwiches they dust off every year for a few months...

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Alex said...

all time worst gimmick..."New Coke"...i was only 6, but i went balistic

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Charles,
Good comments, you gave me some more good gimmick ideas, I'll add the pizza's to my list. I will do a big gimmick blog one day. Don't forget about the new chicken fries at Burger King.

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Pizza Hut is definitely king of the Gimmicks in the pizza world.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Luter said...

great post, I think we are all gimmick men deep down

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night at the M-Braves game it occured to me that I was witnessing an entire sporting event that revolves around gimmicks. Namely those kinds that get you to the game (i.e. free give aways, Thirsty Thursdays, Trustmark Tuesdays, "celebrity" appearances, etc.) and those that happen every half inning (i.e. human hamster race, dizzy bat race, the Cellular South kiss-cam, etc.)

Any thoughts?

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Being a Marketing Major, I can tell you Drew "MBA Millsaps" Cleland, that last night was full of gimmicks. Gimmicks is what makes America run. Every sporting event, especially lower budget ones (a.k.a Mississippi Braves) is filled with them. Need I even mention the stupid gimmick last year for Ole Miss football "The Ole Miss Chopper." Anyone can use gimmicks, what separates the playing field are those who come up with great gimmicks.
Example: Running through the "T" at a UT football game = great gimmick
Having a flashing red light above the tunnel at the Ole Miss game to symbolize "Red Alert" rebels = terrible, embarrassing gimmick.

good call Drew.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Brian said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home