Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The time isn't right


I don't think I'm exaggerating when I suggest there has only been a handful of truly staple, steady things in my life. My parents have loved me since the day I was born, the New Orleans Saints/Ole Miss Rebels have always been a steady part of my life, a smile comes to my face everytime the Star Wars trilogy comes on TV, and The Price is Right has always been on from 10:00-11:00 every weekday.

Things are moving kind of slow here in Jackson, and I think its safe to say that everyone is a little sad that Bob Barker has announced his retirement. His reason, "I've decided to retire while I am still young." In 1956, Bob Barker took the trademark "long skinny" microphone for the first time and daytime entertainment television changed forever. Sure, through the years his skin color has changed, his hair has gotten sno-white, but the legend of the game show industry still has it all. It never fails to get a chuckle from me when he hesitates revealing the final number in "Lucky 7". He'll point at the number, the frantic contestant leans forward desperately awaiting the verdict, then he'll stop, look back at the contestant and ask "Now, what are you going to do if you win this car." I'm telling you, the smooth conversational hesitation which breaks the suspense before revealing the winner NEVER GETS OLD. Nobody does it like Bob Barker.

My brother Mark and I enjoyed countless hours of "The Price Is Right" growing up. Mark was such a fervant fan that he could name the upcoming game based on where Bob had the contestants stand. Then as college came around, I realized that no longer did I have to be in school at 10:00 AM. A few of my buddies and I would have a 9 o'clock class followed by an 11 o'clock. Therefore, we would gather in the Union, grab the remote, change the channel to CBS, and watch Bob work his magic. Numerous times, someone would land a dollar on the wheel or get a chance to play plinko, and a roar would come from our table! Other people in the Union would peer around the corner to see what all the commotion was about. Well, I'll tell you what the commotion was about: Bob Barker in all his brilliance. If seeing Bob Barker flip the "hole in one" sign to a "hole in two" doesn't make you smile, or if seeing someone win both showcases in the Showdown doesn't make you cheer, then you have missed out. I will never forget one morning in the "A-Frame (house in college." The Price is Right was on, I was watching it in a back room and Nathan Michaels was viewing it in the front. Bob Barker, with an extra skip in his step, points and reveals a new game "TRIPLE PLAY." Nathan was screaming, I was screaming, the crowd was going ballistic as Rod Roddy three times yelled "you could win this." Each time it was a new car.

It has been a dream of my brother and me to one day get a chance to "spin the wheel." However, It looks as if we will never get our chance. Bob Barker is responsible for many happy times and many neutered dogs. I think its a shame that they will try to keep the show going without Bob. The show should live and die with Bob. Here's to Bob, always a friend of sweet emotion, and a true legend. "Help control the pet population, have your pet spayed or neutered."

***Feel free to comment on some of your favorite "Price is Right" moments.

15 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian-

The only thing I would add to this post/eulogy is perhaps a clip of Bob entering through the sliding doors at the beginning of the show with his usual two-handed-quasi-double-fist pump. That was the highlight of each show for me.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and what's the over/under on the number of times Bob has been kissed by contestants? I'm saying at least 20,000.

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In terms of pure drama, I'm not sure it got any better than the "mountain climber game." Maybe if a Plinko chip was hanging on the peg about to fall into the zero slot or the $10,000 dollar slot.

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing that made TPIR such a great show is the variety of the games. Sure, they're all based on retail pricing of consumer products, but every once in a while you get a game where you've got to do more than just know your retail prices - like Hole in One, or Plinko. Actual skill was involved for those games.

One thing that always confused me as a child was that the prices were so much higher than they are here in Mississippi. I assume that the show is filmed on the west coast, and I would guess that a generally higher cost of living is to blame for the discrepancy in the prices.

-Charles

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that Bob's last show will be one of the greatest moments in TV history. Just think how long and loudly the crowd will cheer when Bob walks out of the sliding doors for the last time. A simple "Thank you very much. Here is the first item up for bids" will not do the trick this time. I don't think the crowd will ever sit down. Plus, you know it's gonna have triple play, golden road, $100,000 plinko, and so on and so forth. It's sad that it has to end and I, too, wish that that show would be the last price is right ever.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Brian said...

another classic Price is Right moment is whenever a plinko chip got stuck and Bob had to reach around the board and pull out his plinko stick to dislodge the chip....always got the crowd going.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

i agree in terms on sheer anticipation that mountain climber was it, but seriously, who hasn't dreamed of playing plinko? at the "world's largest picnic that occurs not inside with people drinking adult beverages" ESPN had a big set up where sponsors had set up games to win prizes and such. LG, a phone company, had a plinko board set up! the best thing you could win was a beaded necklace, but we played multiple times anyway. i walked away and told my buddy that i had literally just lived a dream

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was the game where you punched through the paper to see what you won?

-Charles

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was called Punch Out, but I'm not sure.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punch a Bunch

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Brian said...

The last episode of the Price is Right should be declared a national holiday so that everyone can stay home from work and watch it together. I'm sure banks already have the day off, but the rest of the country should join in.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I am a little disappointed my brother has not made a memory comment yet. He must still be having a hard time with the news.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Alex said...

i'm still in shock....i was sure he'd be out there with a resperator and a kitten

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger kurt said...

I think the coolest aspect to TPIR is that in the famous "Showcas Showdown" you have the opportunity to win your showcase AND the other players showcase...

...speaking of over/unders, I wonder how many pets have been spayed or neutered in direct response to Bob's final request at the end of every show? I'd set it at about 900,000...

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Also, as I wrote that last comment, State is squandering a 14 point halftime lead on Alabama...but here's the big story...

...there is only ONE Dave doing the JP/Lincoln Financial Game! Unfortunately it's Dave Rowe...

"There are two penalties and Sylvester Croom wants the one that gives them a first down..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home