Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Expensive bottles of glue!

The passing of a hero...Ok I just laughed when I wrote that.

What was all the hysteria about yesterday? Barbaro died. Let me restate my sentence: Barbaro, a horse, was finally euthanized. Now I love animals, I really do. My dog Patches was a terrific dog, but let's get a grip on things people. It's a freaking horse. I'm sorry if this post is too harsh, but the amount of press this horse has received is mind boggling. May I demonstrate with a few quotes from various articles and I will be adding my running commentary
Barbaro battled in his ICU stall for eight months. The 4-year-old colt underwent several procedures and was fitted with fiberglass casts. He spent time in a sling to ease pressure on his legs, had pins inserted and was fitted at the end with an external brace. These were all extraordinary measures for a horse with such injuries.

Barbaro battled in ICU for eight months! Goodness gracious, someone spent the money to keep a horse in ICU for eight months. I would like to know exactly how much it cost, and what else could have been done with that money.

"This horse was a hero," said David Switzer, executive director of the Kentucky Thoroughbred Association.

Correction: The horse was not a hero, the keyword you used David was HORSE. The Webster's definition of a hero is - a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities. It does say man, which I don't think qualifies Barbaro

The story of the beloved 4-year-old bay colt's fight for life captured the fancy of millions.
When Barbaro broke down, his right hind leg flared out awkwardly as jockey Edgar
Prado jumped off and tried to steady the ailing horse. Race fans at Pimlico wept. Within 24 hours the entire nation seemed to be caught up in a "Barbaro watch," waiting for any news.

I am proud to say I was not caught up in the Barbaro watch, and hopefully neither was the ENTIRE nation. The Barbaro watch, if I recall, simply got in the way of my fantasy baseball watch on sportscenter.

Devoted fans even wrote Christmas carols for him, sent a wreath made of baby organic carrots and gave him a Christmas stocking.
The biggest gift has been the $1.2 million raised since early June for the Barbaro Fund. The money is put toward needed equipment such as an operating room table, and a raft and sling for the same pool recovery Barbaro used after his surgeries.

I feel like I'm beating a drum here, but I doubt Barbaro really felt extremely thankful for the cards. I'm sure the wreath was nice considering it was something edible. Again, I'm not a horse, but if I were...I doubt a Christmas card would too exciting. I do however, think our soldiers in Iraq would appreciate cards. Maybe that would have been appropriate?

And maybe the most disturbing of all.
The NBC station said they have recieved 5x
the amount of emails that they did when Gerald Ford
died a few weeks ago.
The owner asked the people,
and i quote "please say a prayer tonight for
Barbaro"

I can't believe I have to even say this. There is something strangely wrong when people get more upset over a horse dying than a former United States President. Oh, and I did not say a prayer last night for a dead horse.

I apologize (not really) if this post has offended you. Again, I can understand someone being sad over the loss of a pet. I can understand the owner being sad, but for thousands of people to get worked up over it......well its just not what we would call sweet emotion.

Here is how my conversation would go with someone who disagreed with me.
Opposition: You are unsympathetic
ME: It's a horse, I'm sorry
Opposition: But, he was a great horse
Me. It's a horse, I'm sorry.
Opposition: But..
Me. IT'S a horse.
Opposition: Your ridiculous:
Me: Horses become glue after they die.

Now that might actually be something I get excited about. An expensive bottle of glue from Barbaro.

12 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for the Super Bowl this week or the sports world would have come to a grinding halt over the horse dying. I'm no animal expert, but something tells me Barbaro's "thoughts" were pretty much limited to these:

"I am hungry."
"I hope they don't hit me with that whip again."
"Wow, this guy riding me is really short."
"Mmmmm.....carrots."
"I wonder if those people taking pictures of me are going to give me something to eat."
"Mmmmm.....oats."
"Where are the female horses?"

I think that pretty much covers everything.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Luke said...

I would pay $100 dollars to see Ron Burgundy on SC tonight doing the evening news anchor thing that they always do when a famous person (like Ford) dies: "Gerald Ford. Dead at the age of 91." Only this time it would be Burgundy (that bastard) saying: "Barbaro. Dead at the age of 4."

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Barbaro was a moron. Call me jaded, but I'm not exactly for awarding a soldier a Purple Heart for a soldier who breaks his leg running to a fight. Even then, he'd actually be more important than Barbaro, who decided to break his leg running on dirt.

Barbaro has stolen precious moments of my life that I will never get back. If I was watching the World Cup, I had to watch halftime shows that talked not about other group play, but freaking Barbaro. If the horse hadn't been euthanized, I might have taken a gun and done it myself.

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodbye, Barbaro. Hello, "Beef" and Broccoli.

-Charles

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Alex said...

I want some some STEAK!!!!!!

..it is also sad to see where our country is theologically, not only do we apparently believe in a "horse heaven" but a purgatory for horses to ('please say a prayer for Barbaro')......

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger kurt said...

If I could have spoken to Barbaro before he went down, I think I would have asked him one question...

"Hey buddy, why the long face?"

...bah-dah-bing...

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Alex said...

a thought just occured to me...what if at the Kentucky Derby this year they pause for a moment to "remember Barbaro"....If that happens, It's best to just let one of my favorite theologians, Jack Handy, run the ceremony:

“My young son asked me what happens after we die. I told him we get buried under a bunch of dirt and worms eat our bodies. I guess I should have told him the truth - that most of us go to Hell and burn eternally - but I didn't want to upset him.”

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

sportscenter reported last night that Barbaro's mother was pregnant with a brother. seriously? the section of the american public that is concerned about the sporting world needs to know that? if SC does a story five months from now on the birth of barbaro's brother, i will boycott the show for a month

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, that should help dull some of the emotional pain Barbaro's mother must be having right now.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the people who donated money to the barbaro fund would never have seen a penny of the money that he might have earned as a stud. which is why they were trying to keep him alive....i am all for dominion over the animals and using them to subdue the earth and make a living....and i am definitely against cruelty to animals....but this is pitiful....dont accept donations from sad people that will allow you to make a jillion dollars later

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

i hope that if i get terminally ill before i get married, people will donate money to keep me alive so that i can have sex

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger Alex said...

...totally worth the $

 

Post a Comment

<< Home