Thursday, April 05, 2007

Not so famous celebrities?


You Can't Run Away From Who You Are

I just wanted to share my thoughts regarding our pop culture world. The other day, I started thinking about celebrities who are actually “famous characters.” What I mean is there are certain actors/actresses who are simply famous for the role they played. The criteria for a “person turned character” is as follows:

1) If you were to see this person strolling through the streets of your hometown, your first instinct would be to yell out his movie/TV characters name instead of his/her own real name.
2) If you are flipping through the television and stumble across this actor. You become physically uncomfortable watching the actor play a different role.
3) If you see the actor/actress in another movie/show, you keep waiting for him to bust out one of your favorite lines from his previous role.


1) Jason Alexander – Who can help it? When one plays such a classic role in such a great comedy, it’s a hard stigma to lose. Jason will always be the loveable George Costanza, and that’s not a bad thing. Yada…yada…yada

2) Jennifer Anniston – Though she’s made some great efforts at expanding her image, I think she still falls in this category. Perhaps this one is debatable. If I saw here walking along the streets of Jackson, MS….I would more likely call her Jennifer than Rachel. Oh well. I’ve just convinced myself this was a poor choice.

3) Reginald VelJohnson – Maybe not a specific character. You might think of him in Family Matters, or you might remember him from Die Hard. But he will always be an overweight cop that loves to eat. (Turner and Hooch anyone?)

4) Ralph Maccio – When I saw Ralph in My Cousin Vinny I screamed…. “Daniel Larusso is gonna fight” Let’s face it, the reason he is out of acting is he just can’t get past it. I kept waiting for him to drop a crane kick on Joe Pesci.

5) Mario Lopez – attempting to play Greg Luganis as your big breakthrough was a poor choice. Animal Planet appearances and other gigs have never been able to shake the stigma of being Albert Clifford (A.C.) Slater. Just slip back on the elastic waistband jeans and revel in your role.

6) Mark Paul Gosselar – Again, who doesn’t see him on another show and accidentally say “that’s Zach Morris.” Every time I see him, I expect to see basketball High tops being worn with his pants.

7) Richard Dean Anderson – you can’t wear a mullet for that long, stop a bomb with a hockey ticket and not expect to be eternally remembered for your role. When ole Rich appeared in the T.V. show “Stargate”, for me it was simply watching Macgyver uncomfortably live in some future world.

8) Robert Patrick – That’s right, you probably don’t even know his real name, that’s because he will always be T-1000 from Terminator. Heck, instead of yelling his name, if I saw this guy strolling downtown streets in a police uniform, I might just run away screaming for Arnold!

9) John Stamos – Saw him the other day on a talk show. What were my thoughts? There is Uncle Jessie, Elvis lover, motorcycle rider, yet a tender-hearted uncle to his nieces. Heck, go ahead and lump any Full House character into this category.

10) Mark Hamill – Mark will always be Luke Skywalker. Hands down, no questions asked. Few can be the central character of the greatest trilogy of all time and expect to lose the label. I refuse to believe that the reason Mark didn’t have starring roles in other movies was due to a lack of ability (snicker)…it’s simply because he would be Luke Skywalker in whatever movie he made an appearance.

11) Carrie Fisher – Nice try in “The Burbs.” However, Carrie will always be the bun style haired Princess Lea.

12) ALF – Come on, have you ever seen the lovable 80’s alien in any other show or movie? Of course not, he will always be ALF.

13) Kazaam – Whenever I see Shaquile O’Neal on the basketball court, I think…”look at Kazaam play basketball.”

I hope you enjoyed the discussion. Here at sweet emotion we deal with all the important issues in life. I hope this will enhance your pop culture lens and create some stimulating discussions. Any other ideas?

16 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Reginald Vel Johnson will always be known as Carl Winslow first, then the cop from Die Hard (I don't remember his name from the movie). I'm not sure which name is more fun to say, Reginald Vel Johnson or Carl Winslow.

Some others I thought of:

-Any character from Full House. It's amazing people even gave them roles after that show went off the air.
-Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed.
-Most of the characters off Seinfeld. Although if I ever saw Michael Richards in person, I'd tell him that I loved him in Problem Child (just to make him mad).
-Kiefer Sutherland is now Jack Bauer instead of Doc from Young Guns. That's a tough pill to swallow. But Emilio Estevez could still be considered Billy the Kid from Young Guns. It might be a toss-up between that and Mighty Ducks. Ugh.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Reginald Vel Johnson will always be known as Carl Winslow first, then the cop from Die Hard (I don't remember his name from the movie). I'm not sure which name is more fun to say, Reginald Vel Johnson or Carl Winslow.

Some others I thought of:

-Any character from Full House. It's amazing people even gave them roles after that show went off the air.
-Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed.
-Most of the characters off Seinfeld. Although if I ever saw Michael Richards in person, I'd tell him that I loved him in Problem Child (just to make him mad).
-Kiefer Sutherland is now Jack Bauer instead of Doc from Young Guns. That's a tough pill to swallow. But Emilio Estevez could still be considered Billy the Kid from Young Guns. It might be a toss-up between that and Mighty Ducks. Ugh.

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just in case you couldn't read my first comment, I posted an exact copy of it just below the original.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

10) Mark Hamill – Mark will always be Luke Skywalker. Hands down, no questions asked.
------------

Another reason he might have had a hard time getting roles may be that car crash he was in-- I think that initially the damage was pretty overblown, but it's a fact that he looked almost completely different after it, and that the older he gets, the more crooked his nose gets. My comic book fanatic friends see him more as The Joker these days than as Luke.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU ARE a loser and defently not a celebrity.The way you talk about people.
WAKe up idiot!

 
At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! You "defently" need to "WAKe up idiot"!

Crap... I wish I didn't have 14 thumbs and could type.

 
At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone claim to be a celebrity?

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Brian said...

What is happening here?

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Who is claiming to be a celebrity. The only celebrity I know personally is Samuel Husband (all-time passing leader at Belhaven College).

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Alex said...

i don't care how many commercials Peyton Manning is in, he will never get past the image of The Indianapolis Colts QB.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention Belhaven Hall of Famer.

 
At 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Rick better as Jack O Neill. Wasn't that fond of Macgyver.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

i think dustin diamond must be inlcuded in the discussion. and really any other character in the show.
i also have to add that my flag football team at uga the last three years was "reginald vel johnson"
how bout the guy that plays samwise in lotr? i think i saw him on 24 once and just couldn't take him seriously.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

i've been gone for a week and just read alex's final thoughts on the tournament. i totally forgot about "throw it up B#@%!" that's freaking hilarious. thanks for the joy you just brought me alex.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

It's nice to see Reginal Vel Johnson cameos. I saw one the other day on a CSI reruns as a psychiatrist.

I would consider Chuck Norris a candidate, but his celebrity persona overwhelms his character in the first place.

I will always remember Wayne Knight as Newman, but I might occasionally think of him as Dennis Nedry from Jurassic Park, who totally gets owned by a dilophosaurus. I Wikipediad the dinosaur name, I'll admit that my dinosaurology is a bit weak...

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a buddy who played on a dodgeball team that they called the "Tony Danza Extravaganza", and that immediately prompted me at the time to think this very thing about him and his career.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home