Monday, April 23, 2007

Weekend Review

No man will let Sheryl Crow tell them what to do with their toilet paper.


Thought I would comment on a spattering of recent events. I know we've had a little global warming jabs here at Sweet Emotion. I also know that some people disagree with me. Let me at the front say that I believe Christians must take care of the environment. For Christianity, salvation is not something that "gets you away" from this horrible material place. No, it's much greater than that. God has promised to redeem us and ALL of creation. Romans 8:21 says "...the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God." Again, in Revelation, the apostle John tells us "I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dresseed for her husband." God is going to redeem the bodies of those who are in Christ and redeem the earth. Needless to say, it will be a breathtaking and glorious sight. All that to say, Christians are required to enter into God's work. Christian's must care for the environment because God does and He has commanded it (Gen. 2:28).

HOWEVER, priorities must be kept straight in our environmentalism. For example, my favorite quote of last week came from Senator Barbara Boxer of California.

I know this is a very hard and emotional week given everything that's happened: continuing violence in Iraq, horrific; the ter
rible news about the accident that our good, dear friend Governor Corzine is suffering from; the Virginia Tech tragedy that brings back in -- almost in a posttraumatic stress way to many of us the violence that exists too -- far too much in our society; and today a Supreme Court decision that I believe endangers, uh, women's health; and, of course, the global warming challenge.

Unbelievable! I agree, last week was a hard and emotional week. However, to throw in global warming as one of the hard and emotional events of last week is just out of touch with reality. Do you think anyone slightly involved with the Virginia Tech shooting is thinking about Global Warming? Does anyone think global warming is on the same level as the loss of the lives of American Soldiers and Iraqi citizens? A whole different discussion could be had about her comment on the supreme court decision. The Supreme Court ruled the killing of babies by inserting a tube into their head and collapsing their cranium as unconstitutional. She throws this ruling in with the horrific events of Virginia Tech.

As a layman and far from being labeled an expert, my point on Global Warming is this: I'm not convinced there is a crisis, but suppose there was.... there are much, much more helpful and efficient things we can do with our money to care for the environment. Danish academic, author, and yes, environmentalist argues against all the global warming rhetoric. He doesn't argue against the fact that the world is getting warmer, and probably by man's activity. However, he actually PRIORITIZES. He points out that "To put it very bluntly, the Kyoto Protocol would likely cost at least $180 billion a year and do little good. UNICEF estimates that just $70-80 billion a year could give all Third World inhabtants access to the basics like health, education, water, and sanitation." Global Warming seems to be the new thing that celebrities can get behind and feel good about themselves. Let's not forget that humans are more important than trees and animals....and I love a good tree.

For example, maybe the most unmanly quote of the month. Sheryl Crow officially tossed her name into the Global Warming fiasco. She offers this suggestion to help out with the "crisis." "I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting." Crow has suggested using "only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where two to three could be required".

Let's get one thing straight Sheryl. No woman is going to put a limit on my toilet paper usage. The bathroom is a place of peace, luxury and where I get some of my best work done (maybe this blog was even written on the toilet). Heck if I am ever going to limit myself to one or two squares. I use a good 30 squares just building a sanitary cover for me to sit on in public restrooms. What a ridiculous solution. She obviously doesn't understand a man and his bathroom.

Secondly, the NBA Playoffs have begun? Anyone notice? Don't fret if you missed the opening games, the playoffs will carry on until something like July. Frankly, the NBA Playoffs carry on right up until the start of the next NBA regular season. All I care about is watching the Allen Iverson/Carmelo Anthony Show.

NFL draft is fast approaching. How do I know? Because Mel Kiper's hair is everywhere. Everytime I turn on the TV or radio he appears. I know this is his job (and what a great job) but good grief, is there not another "expert" out there to add a little diversity and flavor to the discussion. I just hope the Saints draft Patrick Willis. I still look fondly upon the day that my beloved Saints drafted Deuce McAllister.

7 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only I knew where Sheryl Crow lived, I would buy a plane ticket to LA and head straight to her house where I would then throw 4,000 rolls of toilet paper all over her yard.

What's next Sheryl, only flushing the toilet once a day?

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't normally feel the need to respond, but...

Two things:

1. If women would pee standing up, then a lot less toilet paper would get used.

2. If people were really serious about slowing down "Global Warming" they would slaughter all cattle, because their flatulance does more damage to the environment than all the cars in the US combined.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Well said Drew...well said. The comment of the month my friend

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Bush got his idea for a troop surge while sitting on a toilet. Sometimes you really need to be aggressive about problems that just seem to linger.

I'm going to get around to blogging on global warming. Whoop. Brian, text Burdeshaw and tell him to post more. He won't listen to me anymore.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Alex said...

The global warming fiasco will be laughed at in 10 years...laughed at very hard. Not b/c of what may actually be happening to the environment - but b/c of the kindergarden solutions proposed. The mayor of New York wants to increase the toll price to enter the city in order to possibly reduce incoming traffic and reduce global warming. What an idiot. The economic capital of the world where people pay $2,000 a month for a studio apartment, where people from all over the world travel to visit, where almost everything in our country revolves around will somehow fade away from a $15 increase in the toll price. genius.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger kurt said...

I just love how connected these stories are. I mean, Mel Kiper's hairdo has got to be one of the biggest dangers to the ozone layer. He probably goes through several bottles of consort a day.

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my idea to solve global warming: let's all wipe our ass with Sheryl Crow's CD covers. We save paper and get to put loud obnoxious women where they should be.

-Ben

 

Post a Comment

<< Home