Monday, February 05, 2007

Super Bowl and Global Warming

The Super Bowl is over. It was a rather depressing experience for this writer of sweet emotion. What best expressed my attitude towards Super Bowl 41 was the commercial involving the emotionally distraught NFL fans whose teams did NOT make the Super Bowl. The commercial led off with a Saints fan looking horribly depressed, and it summed up my feelings. The Bears were not a great Super Bowl team, and I think the Saints could have put up a better fight...but it was not meant to be this year.

The Colts deserved to win this year. Their defense stepped up during the playoffs and Peyton actually played a decent big game. Rex on the other hand...ouch. All in all, I know Alex is excited, and for that I congratulate him.

On a completely different note. I haven't talked to Alex today, but I'm guessing the reason he hasn't blogged today is because that might involve him going OUTSIDE. And outside Alex's house in Philadelphia it is -1 windchill. I'm not sure how cold it has to be for your spit to actually freeze on the way out of your mouth but I'm sure it's not too far off. Is anyone else tired of hearing about global warming? I mean, it's freaking -30 (yes that was a - sign) windchill in Chicago today. Where is all this global warming in Chicago and across the east coast? Can we please stop spending billions of dollars in a global warming study? Climatologist Timothy Ball (not sure what a climatologist does...but anyway) wrote an article about how ridiculous the Global Warming chaos is. It's very interesting if you care to read. He's Canadian, but I like him already.

Oh, and lastly, one of my old Auburn friends told me about a very cool website if you like music. www.pandora.com lets you type in an artist or song you enjoy and then it gives you other songs/artists that sound like the one you typed in. Let's just put it this way, I typed in Mandolin Rain) and it gave me this description of my suggested songs: "To start things off here's a track musical similar to "Mandolin Rain" that featuring basic rock song structures, a subtle use of vocal harmony, acoustic rhythm piano, major key tonality and prominent organ." How great is that...Bruce Hornsby's Mandolin Rain described to perfection.

13 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Alex said...

yeah...i was just about to blog. I have a whole "Bill Simmons Salute", i'll put it out tommorow. It is unreal cold here, not worth going outside...I'm going to run my parked car with poluting fumes, then i might go break some styrophoam in half..anything to bring this global warming thing up here!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Dude that article is a joke...NSRP is a renegade scientific outfit and are in the VAST minority regarding global warming. It is not an exaggeration to say that 95% of climatologists argue that global warming is caused by human factors. It is a verifiable fact. There are some really good Christian scientists out there who are all over this issue (google Sir John Houghton or see Wheaton's Center for Applied Christian Ethics). Stupid evangelicals who think that Christianity = Republicanism refuse to listen to the facts and the vast majority of scientists. Drives me crazy.
Sorry for the rant. I'll shutup.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I agree with a lot of what's been said on global warming by most climatologists. I think it also falls under the dominion & stewardship mandates of the Bible. I kind of think it is like Pascal's Wager...if you do something wonderful and it turns out that you didn't need to, you still have done something wonderful. If you don't do something that needed to be done...

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a graduate in Geography, I personally have looked at data on all sides of this argument and I personally see that man (at worst) has augmented the effects of a natural process. We just came out of a cooling period that is often referred to as a mini ice age, so it is natural that things will change.

As for this whole we need to preserve species spiel, the hubris involved in thinking that we can control and maintain a status quo in nature when nature itself is in constant flux is absolutely the height of insanity.

As for Canadians, you already seem to like my work, so that is not such a big deal anyway.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Alex said...

..yep..that all sounds good to me...

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i just want this whole global warming thing to be a joke, so we can one day sit around and laugh about Al Gore




- Ben

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He had to come up with something new after that internet claim fell through.



- Chris

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger kurt said...

What happened to this blog? I feel like I need to go get my Ph.D. to follow this debate. I think the opinion of one Dr. Ron Burgundy carries the day...

"Men's brains are 3 times the size of women's...

...its science!"

Also...why is that guy commenting about firefox in every post?

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Alex said...

it's great to have you here Kurt....

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn..."

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger joel kimmel said...

after trying to follow all of this myself, i must also resort to will ferrell and say "i feel like i'm taking crazy pills!" let's get back to theology and sports. thanks

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Brian Sulpher...never heard that argument before, interesting - what was meant by "mini ice age"??

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it was roughly two centuries long and what it was a drop in the average world temperatures. However, it did not get low enough to cause the build up of precipitation in the form of snow which would lead to glaciers (there was just enough melt and evaporation to keep the balance).

It occurred roughly between 1500-1750, so as the planet comes out of this dip in temperature, it is natural for an increase in temperature. Now, as for the whole nature vs. man side of things, that is a far sticker wicket to decide upon, which is why I do not make any personal sweeping statements of man having no effect or some effect. It is rather tough to say.

However, I am only one person with opinions, so it is really something you should look into by looking at dtata yourself, looking at different sides of the debate, and not letting certain groups just tell you what to think (which is what a LOT of people do nowadays for some unknown reason... why give up your right and ability to reason and think for yourself?).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home