Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thoughts on the 2 Weeks of 2008

It's been a while for me, sorry about the absence, there's been much to cover but while I was out of a routine I blanked regularly on what to say. Quick thoughts on the recent events of the New Year:

The BCS
Fox has done the most pathetic job of any network in covering the major bowl games. They are a complete disgrace and have ruined more so what is becoming a faded holiday - New Year's Day. The announcers are bad, but more so (I know it's all about the $$) the spreading out of the games has made the BCS championship the MOST anti-climactic championship game in major sports. If ten years ago, when we had New Year's day dissasters like Michigan and Nebraska both undefeated and not playing each other, you would have told me that College football was going to get it's version of the 'super bowl' where we actually had a championship game, I would have been ecstatic. But the delay of an entire week has made viewers forget and fans like me not realizing the game was on until you turned on ESPN that night and they mentioned something about it on sportscenter. Did anyone else think that college football had lost a little bit of steam by the 8th of January? The spreading out of the other games on the 2nd and 3rd is boring enough, pointless, and is making January 1st less and less exciting. I was so annoyed how ESPN had that running clock on the bottom of the screen counting downt the time till the Rose Bowl.








It's almost like ESPN/ABC was going to campaign for USC to get some 1st place votes before the bowls even took place. All the commercials, gameday being there, ABC's lone BCS broadcast - it all reflects an attitude that still wants to equate the Rose Bowl with the Championship game. I was so annoyed that Chris Fowler and co. still couldn't "clearly claim" LSU the national champion. They say that they were not sure "LSU is clearly the best team". Who the hell cares about that question? That is the most subjective argument and is simulatneously pointless. Were the Pittsburgh Steelers the best team in the NFL during the 2005 season? It doesn't matter, they won the Super Bowl and are therefore the champions- end of argument. Was Syracuse the best team of college basketball in the 2002-03? It doesn't matter, they won the tournament.






I can appreciate conversations trying to get to a playoff system (though the Georgia President came across as a whiner with his timing), but their are still idiots out there who voted USC #1. It would be like the voters voting for a team that lost in the final four. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but college football has a championship game. The winner wins the national championship, end of discussion ESPN.






NFL Playoffs
I was going to make picks for the games last weekend, but luckily I never posted it. I really thought the Redskins could beat the soft/lame/pathetic/wimpy/whining Seattle Seahawks. Jacksonville won like I thought they would, but I hope they have something left for Saturday. New York impressed me, I really thought they were going to have a letdown and Eli would have another bad playoff game. Norv Turner outsmarted himself and actually won a playoff game, San Diego did look ugly beating a beat up Tennessee team.
This weekend, it's unfortunate that Jacksonville's two stud DT's will be out, with them (Stroud & Henderson) I think they could really give them problems. My hope is that the game is really physical and takes a tough toll on New England. I'd be more shocked if a Norv Turner led team could win a playoff game on the road than if Jxnville knocked off New England. I think we will be able to know what will happen in the NFC with the 1st Quarter of the Dallas game. Good or Bad Romo? If Dallas comes out sharpe they will run away with the NFC. Seattle has no shot in Green Bay. I repeat that...no shot.






College Basketball



I think I now realize why some areas are not excited about college sports, they don't have a team to cheer for. I was very indifferent to College Basketball untill Tennessee became a respectable team 3 years ago. If you don't have a team to be excited about, it's painful till March....very painful. The Ole Miss/Tennessee game last night was an instant classic. The jury was out on the Rebs, and they proved they are for real. I think those are clearly the best two teams in the SEC.






Politics



I think everyone I talk to agrees that this is the most exciting primaries in our lifetime. I have opinions on most of the candidates, but one thing I'm constantly laughing at is the media and youth opinion of Obama. Whenever I see one of his rally's, I have to remind myself this is not E! and I'm not watching a Michael Jackson apperance in Japan. I dislike Obama for one main reason - Oprah publicly endorsed him.












Happy Belated New Year. Please enter your picks for the playoffs this weekend....

9 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seattle is again the worst playoff team. Also, it seems like ESPN is still apologizing to USC for the BCS disaster in 2003. Get over it.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger kurt said...

USC leads the nation in claiming national championships they didn't actually win.

In the NFC, mark me down for Dallas & Seattle. In the AFC, it all comes down to the coaches and QBs. I'll take Peyton & Dungy over Rivers & Norv and I'll take Brady & Belichick over Garrard & Del Rio. When you look at it like that and consider that both Indy & NE have homefield, I'm surprised anyone is picking the Chargers or Jags.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Kurt, how in your right mind can you pick Seattle...Seattle....they cannot win outside the West coast (mostly those are home games, but the only reason they win west coast games is b/c they play SF and Arizona).


also, I think Alabama also gives USC a run for it's money on that category.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Well most of Alabama's claimed championships were pre-BCS. Carroll has held the glass football aloft just once. To hear their fans or ESPN (if that's even a distinction) talk, you'd think they had 5 titles.

BTW, here's the BCS Championship breakdown:

SEC - 4 (UT, UF, LSUx2)
XII - 2 (OU, Texas)
ACC - 1 (FSU)
Pac10 - 1 (USC)
Big10 - 1 (Ohio St. but this one should have been Miami's)
BigEast - 1 (Miami)

So just to recap, the SEC has more titles in the BCS era than the ACC, Pac10, BigTen, & Big East combined But here's an even cooler stat: Championship games LOST:

ACC - 3
XII - 3
Big10 - 2
Pac10 - 1
BigEast - 1 (Miami, and again, they should have won that game)
SEC - 0

As far as Seattle goes, the Superbowl has to be a bad matchup, so naturally the Hawks are headed to Glendale.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Alex said...

kurt, thanks for those statistics. intriguing to read. But if Seattle makes it to the super bowl, I will personally drive down to Mississippi and take you out to a restaraunt of your choice.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Kel said...

I am going to pick seattle. Anyone can come out of the NFC this year. Seattle, New England, Dallas and San Diego, which mean's whale's vagina.

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, New England and San Diego are AFC teams. And I agree with Alex, Seattle is the worst team in the playoffs. Green Bay will win big.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger kurt said...

Well, I guess I'm not getting a free dinner. One road team HAS to win, so the Cowboys could be in trouble.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Now you may be on to something....Giants may really give them some problems. That game will be interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home