It's Time for Football!!
Well, tomorrow it all begins. Put the kids to sleep, get the couch ready, and let's get something besides baseball rolling on Sportcenter. It's time for football season. Mississippi State kicks off the SEC season this year verse South Carolina. Steve Spurrier has never won in Starkville, and his last beating in Starkville lead to one of the most hilarious moments a year later. After State upset Florida in Starkville, the next year, Florida romped the bullies and Spurrier after the game said he scored the last touchdown for the waterboy. All that to say, I think Spurrier will have his first victory in Starkville this Thursday, but crazier things have happened. Let's play football!
To kick off the season, Alex and I made our prediction regarding the SEC, the SEC championship game, and the National Championship game. The predictions are as follows.
1) Georgia (7-1) - Richt seems to always get the best out of nothing. They can run the ball and play defense. This is a very tough year, I just think they will be last team standing.
2) Tennessee (6-2) - I think they will suprise alot and bounce back with a decent year. The Cal game will determine alot about them. Florida early, LSU late, and Georgia on road..they will lose 2/3
3) Florida (5-3) - I know every magazine has them winning the division, but no running game, poor offensive line--bad SEC combo
4) South Carolina (4-4) - Reality comes crashing downfor Spurrier
5) Kentucky (2-6) - same old same old
6) Vanderbilt (1-7) - Last year was there one chance
to go to a bowl, they blew it
1) Auburn(7-1) - Loaded, but not like 2004. If KennyIrons gets hurt, they are in trouble
2) LSU (6-2) - They have talent to go undefeated, buta coach who will drag them down further each year
3) Arkansas (5-3) - Houston Nutt is coaching for hisjob, usually at his best there
4) Alabama (4-4) - No Brodie = No leadership = lesswins
5) Ole Miss (4-4) - I think Shaeffer could do somegreat things when ball is in his hand. Orgeron's system may come around this year
6) Miss. State (1-7) - They are bad...very bad
SEC championship: Auburn over Georgia, Auburn will revenge the regular season loss at home to Georgia ina close game.
National Championship: Ohio State over Auburn in BCS championship game
1) Auburn Tigers- Tuberville has got himself the best runningback in the SEC. If Brandon Cox can show some improvement from last year, the defense and the running game will do the rest.
2) LSU Tigers – The loss to Auburn in their SEC opener will be the difference.
3) Alabama – Kenneth Darby will do his best, but without Brodie or a 100% Prothro, the Tide will lose a few key games.
4) Ole Miss – My heart didn’t let me put them in 5th. The defensive line and offensive line are big question marks, but my love for Ole Miss boosts them above Arkansas and State.
5) Arkansas – The Nutthouse is going to be on the hotseat after this year
6) Miss. State – Croom’s defense will be solid this year, but no Norwood means no getting out of the SEC cellar. By the way, the Atlanta falcons got a steal in Norwood. That guy was unbelievable.
1) Florida – call me crazy, but I’m going out on a limb and saying that Chris Leake leads them to the SEC Championship game.
2) Georgia – The lack of experience at qb will keep them out of championship. Although rumor has it from Highland Park, Texas that Matt Stafford is the real deal.
3) South Carolina – Spurrier wins another upset against Tennessee and vaults them into another bowl game and third place finish in the East.
4) Tennessee- I might be wrong on this one, because honestly this could be the year things click for Ainge. I just wouldn’t mind seeing the Vols go down again this year. Fat Phil’s misery is my joy. Sorry Alex
5) Kentucky – Rafael Little will put the team on his shoulders and carry them past Vanderbilt.
6) Vanderbilt – another tough year for the “Dores.” Always might upset Ole Miss though.
SEC Championship Florida vs. Auburn – Auburn routs Florida as they have their eyes set on the National Championship.
Nat’l Championship Game
Auburn vs. West Virginia – Ok, I’m probably wrong, but didn’t want to go with Ohio State. Auburn wins the National title and at least gets some comfort from the NCAA debacle 2 years ago.